Wanted: Tips for Being The Best Stay At Home Mom I Can Be

Being a stay at home mom is the hardest job I have ever had - yet it's by far the best. I started staying home about eleven months ago, with my then eight month old daughter. I thought I was going to have oodles of free time as she napped and we would have tons of time to play together. Little did I know naps aren't a given no matter how much you work to have a stable schedule. However making breakfast, lunch, and dinner, as well as doing the laundry, keeping up with my housework and all the house hold errands are a given. Yup, staying home was a bigger job then I realized and wanting the best for my daughter meant I needed to brush up on my preschool lessons as well as my ability to make a variety of meals that could provide my family with healthy options. I started adjusting to the demands and doing what I felt was a good job and really got into a nice groove right about the time my second daughter came along. Things got busier and I have been feeling my way through life as a stay at home mom. We have a schedule that works for us - and now that I live this life, I wouldn't want it any other way for me and my family. As a previous career woman I have a huge respect for both at home moms and at work moms and my goal is to share some of the things that make my life as a mommy easier - from recipes to crafts I hope what we do in our home can make it to your home and you'll enjoy it!



My daily posts include fun activties I am doing in real time with my kiddos, dinners I am making for my family, snacks, and some fun things I discover along the way. I hope they are things other moms can use as tips rather than recreating the wheel. Let me know what you think and lets share some tips because nothing is better than bragging about what you and your little ones can do together!

Friday, September 14, 2012

Smothered Tomato Chicken

Smothered Tomato Chicken


One of my biggest tasks of the day is getting dinner ready.  I take pride in what I make for my family, and I love that my husband is always so appreciative of what I come up with for dinner.  I, like everyone else, have my old stand by meals that I don't have to think about - but I also try to make something new at least once a week.  This week I did it with chicken. 

I know... what could possibly be new with chicken? It's all been done and basically tastes the same - but this was a fresh idea for me, and one I will definately be making a second time at my house.  It was easy to prepare - a must on a week night, and made enough for lunch the next day, something I like to make sure of so I can send it into work with my husband.

Here is the easy to follow recipe:

Smothered Tomato Chicken

Servings - 4
Level - Easy
Prep Time - 10 min
Cook Time - 20 min on stove top, 40 min in the oven
Total Time - 1 hour, 10 min
Bake at 350

1 package of 4 chicken thighs (you can use breast if you prefer)
1 T minced garlic
3 T olive oil
Salt
Pepper
Garlic Salt
Cavender's All Purpose Greek Seasoning
1 T Italian Seasoning
1 medium onion
4 Roma tomatoes
1 1/2 T Romano Cheese

Directions:
Start by washing and patting dry your chicken.  Preheat your oven to 350.  In a deep, oven safe skillet set your stove top heat to medium high and add olive oil and garlic.  While this is heating coat your chicken with seasoning to taste - I generously cover mine with salt, pepper, garlic salt, and the greek seasoning mix.  Set your italian seasoning aside for now as that is for the tomatoes not the chicken.  Once your oil is warmed place your chicken in the skillet skin side down.  Brown the skin, flip and brown the back side as well - this should take about 10 minutes.

After browning your chicken slice the onion and add it to the oil and chicken in the skillet.  Do the same with the four tomatoes.  Allow onions and tomatoes to cook down and soften.  Your tomatoes will begin to break down.  Now sprinkle in your Romano Cheese (Parm will work if you don't have Romano) and your Italian Seasoning.  Stir chichen, tomatoes and onions.  You should have a light sauce made in the pan from the breakdown of the chicken, tomatoes, and onions.  Mine looked like this.




Cover your pan and place in the oven at 350 for 40 minutes.  After 40 minutes remove.  Taste your sauce to determine if you need more salt.  Your chicken should be crispy from the browning and tender  - ready to fall off the bone.  Transfer to serving dish with sauce.

I served this with roasted potatoes and peas.  The potatoes cooked in the oven with the chicken and left me to have some time with kids while I was cooking - multi tasking at its finest!

Good Luck, Enjoy, and let me know what you think!



Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment