Wanted: Tips for Being The Best Stay At Home Mom I Can Be

Being a stay at home mom is the hardest job I have ever had - yet it's by far the best. I started staying home about eleven months ago, with my then eight month old daughter. I thought I was going to have oodles of free time as she napped and we would have tons of time to play together. Little did I know naps aren't a given no matter how much you work to have a stable schedule. However making breakfast, lunch, and dinner, as well as doing the laundry, keeping up with my housework and all the house hold errands are a given. Yup, staying home was a bigger job then I realized and wanting the best for my daughter meant I needed to brush up on my preschool lessons as well as my ability to make a variety of meals that could provide my family with healthy options. I started adjusting to the demands and doing what I felt was a good job and really got into a nice groove right about the time my second daughter came along. Things got busier and I have been feeling my way through life as a stay at home mom. We have a schedule that works for us - and now that I live this life, I wouldn't want it any other way for me and my family. As a previous career woman I have a huge respect for both at home moms and at work moms and my goal is to share some of the things that make my life as a mommy easier - from recipes to crafts I hope what we do in our home can make it to your home and you'll enjoy it!



My daily posts include fun activties I am doing in real time with my kiddos, dinners I am making for my family, snacks, and some fun things I discover along the way. I hope they are things other moms can use as tips rather than recreating the wheel. Let me know what you think and lets share some tips because nothing is better than bragging about what you and your little ones can do together!

Sunday, September 23, 2012

Blooming Pumpkin - Beautiful Fall Centerpiece

A Gorgeous Fall or Thanksgiving Centerpiece - Made By You!
Try this easy to make Blooming Pumpkin


Last fall I was walking through Michael's and I saw their Blooming Pumpkin centerpieces, I thought about buying one for my table - but then realized I could make one of my own easily, for half the cost and it would be so much more special.  So, this fall when I saw the crafter's pumpkins in the bin outside of Michael's I knew I needed to to get one and make my family one of these for our table.  It was as easy as I thought and I bought the silk flowers, pumpkin, and ribbon on sale - making it even more affordable.  This is quite large so it can fill up your table easily and looks stunning, even my husband was impressed that I made it on my own. 

The project took about an hour to make from start to finish, so for me it was something I did during my kids nap time.  Here are some easy to follow steps on how I made mine:

You'll need the following supplies:

1 crafter's pumpkin - size of your choice (I picked a medium sized one)
wired ribbon you can tie into a bow and shape
fall silk flower bunches - I used 4 flower bunches and 1 bunch of leaves. (I bought the 3 and 5 dollar bunches from Walmart)
1 - 1/2 circle foam flower ball
glue gun
wire cutters
craft knife

1.  Cut a hole in the top of your pumpkin - just like you would a live pumpkin.
2. Using your glue gun, glue the top back on - but flip it upside down.
3. Glue your foam ball to the top of your pumpkin.

4. Begin placing your silk flowers in the foam ball.
5.  Continue placing flowers in the foam ball and add bow if you desire (a bow is not needed, I like it just for the finished look).  Your finished product should look like this:


This is just stunning and looks like it cost me so much more than it actually did, plus making it myself I was able to choose the specific flowers I like and what I felt would match my fall decorations.  This is one of those projects that I just love and know I will display for years to come!  Hope you try it and enjoy it as much as I am enjoying mine. Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment