Wanted: Tips for Being The Best Stay At Home Mom I Can Be

Being a stay at home mom is the hardest job I have ever had - yet it's by far the best. I started staying home about eleven months ago, with my then eight month old daughter. I thought I was going to have oodles of free time as she napped and we would have tons of time to play together. Little did I know naps aren't a given no matter how much you work to have a stable schedule. However making breakfast, lunch, and dinner, as well as doing the laundry, keeping up with my housework and all the house hold errands are a given. Yup, staying home was a bigger job then I realized and wanting the best for my daughter meant I needed to brush up on my preschool lessons as well as my ability to make a variety of meals that could provide my family with healthy options. I started adjusting to the demands and doing what I felt was a good job and really got into a nice groove right about the time my second daughter came along. Things got busier and I have been feeling my way through life as a stay at home mom. We have a schedule that works for us - and now that I live this life, I wouldn't want it any other way for me and my family. As a previous career woman I have a huge respect for both at home moms and at work moms and my goal is to share some of the things that make my life as a mommy easier - from recipes to crafts I hope what we do in our home can make it to your home and you'll enjoy it!



My daily posts include fun activties I am doing in real time with my kiddos, dinners I am making for my family, snacks, and some fun things I discover along the way. I hope they are things other moms can use as tips rather than recreating the wheel. Let me know what you think and lets share some tips because nothing is better than bragging about what you and your little ones can do together!

Sunday, September 16, 2012

Sausage, Peppers, and Onions Pasta Dinner

My Husband's Favorite Meal...
Sausage, Peppers, and Onions Pasta Dinner


Growing up in my family, we had "macaroni" on Sundays.  I still try to make some kind of pasta on Sundays for my kids and husband.  Although I don't always get a big pot of meatballs and sausage going first thing in the morning I do usually come up with something that we can all sit around the table and enjoy.  About two years ago I made this for the first time and since then it has become a staple in our house.  We all love it, especially my husband and its a go to meal that he'll often ask for if we have not had it in a while.

My oldest daughter loves it - we typically cut the sausage up toddler style and then let her slurp up the macaroni and veggies.  I always top hers with a little extra grated cheese.  Word to wise on this one, if you have a little one like us, you definitely need a bib because the sauce does stain.

Here's an easy to follow recipe:


Level - Easy
Prep Time - 10 min
Cook Time - 40-45 min
Total Time - 55 min
Stove Top - Medium
Oven - 375

Ingredients:
1 lb of Italian sausage (I like hot)
1/2 cup olive oil
2 T chopped garlic
1 red bell pepper (can use any color, red just adds a little sweetness)
1 green bell pepper
8 oz container of mushrooms (optional)
1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp course black pepper
1 T Italian seasoning
4 T Romano cheese (Substitute with Parmesan if desired)
1 lb Pasta

To start, preheat your oven to 375.  In a deep saute pan heat your olive oil and garlic.  Then slice your onion, red bell pepper, green bell pepper, and mushrooms and add them over a medium heat.  Add your salt, pepper, and Italian seasoning.  Allow your veggies to cook down.  While you are doing this in your preheated oven cook your sausage for 20 min, this will not cook your sausage through, but it will finish cooking with your veggies and give and added boost to the flavor.  Slice your sausage into about inch wide pieces and add them to the veggie mixture.  Continue to cook on the stove top stirring occasionally.  Add your Romano cheese and stir.  Cover your pot and allow to simmer while you boil your pasta water.  Stir occasionally.  Once your pasta is completed add two ladles of the starched water to your sausage and veggie pot before straining. 

Once I have strained my pasta I like to toss it in the pot I have cooked my sausage, peppers, and onions in - then put it all in a serving bowl.  I always add some extra grated Romano cheese to the top as well as some chopped parsley as a garnish before I serve this dish - both are not only pretty but they taste great.  My family is a big fan of garlic bread so I usually will serve this with some sliced garlic bread to complete my meal.

Hope you enjoy this as much as my husband!
Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment