Wanted: Tips for Being The Best Stay At Home Mom I Can Be

Being a stay at home mom is the hardest job I have ever had - yet it's by far the best. I started staying home about eleven months ago, with my then eight month old daughter. I thought I was going to have oodles of free time as she napped and we would have tons of time to play together. Little did I know naps aren't a given no matter how much you work to have a stable schedule. However making breakfast, lunch, and dinner, as well as doing the laundry, keeping up with my housework and all the house hold errands are a given. Yup, staying home was a bigger job then I realized and wanting the best for my daughter meant I needed to brush up on my preschool lessons as well as my ability to make a variety of meals that could provide my family with healthy options. I started adjusting to the demands and doing what I felt was a good job and really got into a nice groove right about the time my second daughter came along. Things got busier and I have been feeling my way through life as a stay at home mom. We have a schedule that works for us - and now that I live this life, I wouldn't want it any other way for me and my family. As a previous career woman I have a huge respect for both at home moms and at work moms and my goal is to share some of the things that make my life as a mommy easier - from recipes to crafts I hope what we do in our home can make it to your home and you'll enjoy it!



My daily posts include fun activties I am doing in real time with my kiddos, dinners I am making for my family, snacks, and some fun things I discover along the way. I hope they are things other moms can use as tips rather than recreating the wheel. Let me know what you think and lets share some tips because nothing is better than bragging about what you and your little ones can do together!

Monday, September 17, 2012

Apple Cider Cinnamon Rolls

A Delicious Fall Treat
Apple Cider Cinnamon Rolls


I love to bake something on a cool fall morning, it warms my house up with out having to turn the heat on, makes everything smell nice, and is a special treat for my family.  Cinnamon Rolls are a sweet treat that I really enjoy, so I was trying to think of a way to jazz them up a bit.  When I was pregnant I was on a hot apple cider kick and I bought a bunch of instant hot apple cider mix, more than I could drink.  With a move around the corner I thought I would try baking with it, rather than packing it - and wow did it add a kick to these cinnamon rolls.  My daughter gobbled hers up and my husband had 3, so I think they passed the quality control test in my house! 

A quick tip - when I make anything that I need yeast for I use my Kitchen Aide standing mixer, its my favorite small kitchen appliance!  The bowl is perfect for mixing and rising - and the dough hook makes it easy to create the perfect consistency when baking.  If you don't have a standing mixer, you can still make these, its just a little more work.

Here's my recipe:

Level: Medium
Prep Time: 30 min
Sitting Time: 90 min
Baking Time: 20 min
Total Time: 1 hour, 50 min
Oven Temp: 425

Ingredients
3/4 cup milk
1/4 cup margarine, softened
3 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
1 (.25 ounce) package instant yeast or 1 T of instant yeast
1/4 cup white sugar
6 packets of instant hot apple cider mix
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 cup water
1 egg
Filling:
1 cup brown sugar, packed
1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
1/2 cup margarine, softened
1/2 cup Caramel Bites (optional)
Frosting:
4 oz of cream cheese
¼ cup margarine
1 cup powdered sugar
1 tsp vanilla extract

To start heat your milk (I usually put mine in the microwave for 45 seconds and that heats it up perfectly) then add to your mixing bowl with your instant yeast.  Whisk quickly then allow to sit for about 10 min.  Return to your mixture and add flour, white sugar, hot apple cider mix, salt, water, egg, and ¼ cup of margarine.  Using your dough hook mix all the ingredients together, continue mixing until the dough forms and starts pulling away from the sides of the bowl.  Take your dough out of the bowl and kneed it, only for about 2 min you don’t want to over work it.  Now wet a clean dishtowel and ring it out, place your dough back in the mixing bowl and cover it with the towel.  Let it sit for about an hour to an hour and a half.  It will rise during that time.
Preheat your oven to 425.  Take your dough out roll it over on you surface by hand, then take a rolling pin and roll the dough out just as you would a pie crust.  I get mine down to about a ¼ of an inch in thickness.  Now take your ½ cup of margarine and spread it over the rolled out dough. 

In a small bowl combine your brown sugar, cinnamon, and caramel bites.  Sprinkle this mixture over your dough.  Now roll your dough into a long roll.  Once your done cut into 1 inch slices.  Place in a glass baking dish that is sprayed with cooking spray, make sure each roll is touching.  When I make these I use a glass pie dish and it uses about ½ the log – I then freeze the other half for another day.  Bake for about 20 minutes or until golden brown. 

My family likes to add some cream cheese frosting to these so, I quickly mix 4oz of softened cream cheese, ¼ cup of margarine, vanilla extract, and powdered sugar to make a fluffy frosting.  Then I spread it over the top while they are hot, the frosting melts a bit and makes a nice glaze.  Its truly delicious.  Hope you enjoy!
Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment