Wanted: Tips for Being The Best Stay At Home Mom I Can Be

Being a stay at home mom is the hardest job I have ever had - yet it's by far the best. I started staying home about eleven months ago, with my then eight month old daughter. I thought I was going to have oodles of free time as she napped and we would have tons of time to play together. Little did I know naps aren't a given no matter how much you work to have a stable schedule. However making breakfast, lunch, and dinner, as well as doing the laundry, keeping up with my housework and all the house hold errands are a given. Yup, staying home was a bigger job then I realized and wanting the best for my daughter meant I needed to brush up on my preschool lessons as well as my ability to make a variety of meals that could provide my family with healthy options. I started adjusting to the demands and doing what I felt was a good job and really got into a nice groove right about the time my second daughter came along. Things got busier and I have been feeling my way through life as a stay at home mom. We have a schedule that works for us - and now that I live this life, I wouldn't want it any other way for me and my family. As a previous career woman I have a huge respect for both at home moms and at work moms and my goal is to share some of the things that make my life as a mommy easier - from recipes to crafts I hope what we do in our home can make it to your home and you'll enjoy it!



My daily posts include fun activties I am doing in real time with my kiddos, dinners I am making for my family, snacks, and some fun things I discover along the way. I hope they are things other moms can use as tips rather than recreating the wheel. Let me know what you think and lets share some tips because nothing is better than bragging about what you and your little ones can do together!

Thursday, November 8, 2012

Loaded Baked Potato Soup

Loaded Baked Potato Soup
Comfort Food... Simple and Tasty


Cool weather is coming, and with that comes soup and comfort foods.  When I was a kid, my grandmother used to take me out to this restaurant every now and again and we would get soup and salad.  I always would get potato soup.  I loved it... and I still do, but I have never tried to make it myself - until yesterday.  My daughter, who just turned 21 months, also likes potato as well as all the fixings for baked potato so I thought why not try loaded baked potato soup.  We live in a one meal house, meaning I don't make anything for dinner that is not eaten by everyone in the house, so soup can be a challenge because we haven't mastered using our utensils just yet - but I gave it a shot. 

So I started the soup around 9am on the stove top and it was done by noon.  Then I let it sit until my husband came home from work.  At dinner time, I just had to warm it up and make the garlic toast and potato fixings.  My husband had two bowl fulls and took another into work today for lunch!  He definitely enjoyed it, and as for my daughter she liked it too - but I can't put as much stock in that since she loves anything with bacon in it!  This was very easy and I believe something that could be done in your crock pot if you have a busy day ahead and want to come home to dinner waiting for you.  Also, often when I make soup for dinner we get hungry around 9:30 - but this stuck to our ribs so to speak so neither of us were looking for snacks post dinner.  Give it a try, I think you'll enjoy it!

Ingredients:
8 large potatoes
1 medium onion
1 tablespoon of chopped fresh garlic (about 2 cloves)
1 1/2 tablespoons of olive oil
1 1/2 tsp of salt
1 tsp pepper
1/2 tablespoon of parsley
1 bay leaf
1 1/2 boxes (32 oz each) of chicken stock - this is approx - you will be covering the potatoes with chicken stock.
1 1/2 cups of no fat half and half
1 1/2 cups of skim shredded cheddar cheese
1/2 cup of light sour cream

Toppings:
sour cream
cooked and chopped bacon
shredded cheddar cheese
scallions chopped

To start, in a large stock pot, I used my large calphalon pot because I like the way it keeps the heat even and the holds heat, warm your olive oil and add the chopped garlic and chopped onion.  Cook your onion until it is translucent in color.  While your onion and garlic are cooking wash, peel, and chop your potatoes into about 1/4 inch pieces.  Then add them.  Cover the potato with your chicken stock - it takes about a box and a half.  I used Progresso chicken stock because I like the richness in flavour and I also use the low sodium.  Add your salt, pepper, bay leaf and parsley. Cook this on low for about two hours, until your potatoes are soft and ready to be mashed.  Then using a potato masher, mash the potatoes, this makes your soup thick.  I would not recommend using an immersion blender because you still want some chunks of potato in your soup.  Now add your shredded cheese, half and half, and sour cream.  Stir this allowing everything to mix.  Taste for seasoning and it's done.  I let mine sit on the stove top and reheated it at dinner time, but you could serve it right away.

NOTE - if you choose to do this in your crock pot I would say the cook time on the potatoes would be double on low- so four hours.

For toppings, I put out sour cream and more of the shredded cheddar cheese.  Then I chopped five scallions and fried up bacon and chopped that.  We sprinkled it on top of our soup and then stirred it all together for a delicious and comforting meal.

Although this was filling and had all the makings of a fatty meal - the choices I made did keep it lower in fat than it could have been - rather than using butter I used olive oil, I used no fat half and half rather than cream or regular half and half, a light sour cream, and a skim cheese.  You can't always make things fat free but the low fat options in this soup were not detected and dinner was delicious and full of flavor.

Hope you try this out and let me know what you think!

Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment