Wanted: Tips for Being The Best Stay At Home Mom I Can Be

Being a stay at home mom is the hardest job I have ever had - yet it's by far the best. I started staying home about eleven months ago, with my then eight month old daughter. I thought I was going to have oodles of free time as she napped and we would have tons of time to play together. Little did I know naps aren't a given no matter how much you work to have a stable schedule. However making breakfast, lunch, and dinner, as well as doing the laundry, keeping up with my housework and all the house hold errands are a given. Yup, staying home was a bigger job then I realized and wanting the best for my daughter meant I needed to brush up on my preschool lessons as well as my ability to make a variety of meals that could provide my family with healthy options. I started adjusting to the demands and doing what I felt was a good job and really got into a nice groove right about the time my second daughter came along. Things got busier and I have been feeling my way through life as a stay at home mom. We have a schedule that works for us - and now that I live this life, I wouldn't want it any other way for me and my family. As a previous career woman I have a huge respect for both at home moms and at work moms and my goal is to share some of the things that make my life as a mommy easier - from recipes to crafts I hope what we do in our home can make it to your home and you'll enjoy it!



My daily posts include fun activties I am doing in real time with my kiddos, dinners I am making for my family, snacks, and some fun things I discover along the way. I hope they are things other moms can use as tips rather than recreating the wheel. Let me know what you think and lets share some tips because nothing is better than bragging about what you and your little ones can do together!

Wednesday, November 14, 2012

Chicken Cordon Blue Casserole

Chicken Cordon Blue with Stuffing
Great Make Ahead Meal


This past weekend we had the start of the COLD weather move into Omaha, and since we are still in our temporary housing and I am with out the majority of my pots and pans, I needed to make something that would be warm and delicious for my family but could be done using the basic pots and pans I have kept with me for our move.  My husband is a big fan of casseroles.  He grew up eating them and enjoys them, they are a comfort food for him, so I thought why not try a new one?  I make a chicken and broccoli casserole he enjoys so I decided why not add ham, some Swiss cheese and change my vegetable?  I gave it a try and we will definitely be eating this again this winter.  It was delicious and warm, the ham gave it that special flavor and the use of cream of chicken soup made it taste rich and smooth, the perfect comfort food meal for my family.  On the plus side, it warmed up great the next day - which is essential in my house because I pack a lunch Monday - Friday for my husband!  A true crowd pleaser.  I did make this ahead (I put it together during nap time then let it sit on the oven until dinner rolled around).  It was all done in one pot and was very easy on clean up.  Give it a try!

Here's what you'll need...

Ingredients:
2 large boneless, skinless chicken breast cooked and cubed (I boiled mine)
2 large smoked pork chops cooked and cubes (I bought mine cooked from the grocery store)
2 cans of cream of chicken soup
2  1/2 cans of no fat half and half (you can substitute with milk)
1 bag of frozen peas
1 bag of Herbed Stuffing Mix
Salt and Pepper to taste
Sliced Swiss Cheese - about 6 slices
1 cup of cheddar cheese
1 tablespoon of spicy mustard
1 tablespoon of olive oil
1 tablespoon of fresh chopped garlic - about 2 cloves

Directions:

Using your dutch oven, I like my Calphalon because of the even heat and easy to clean finish,  warm your olive oil and garlic cloves.  Then add the cooked diced chicken and cooked ham/smoked pork chop.  Brown these over medium heat.  Add your cream of chicken soup, half and half, cheddar cheese mustard, and salt and pepper.  I tasted my base once it was warm and bubbly to make sure I had just enough seasoning.  Stir in the frozen peas then gently fold in your stuffing mix - uncooked.  Make sure the breading is completely coated with the cream base.  Flatten out your mixture and top with sliced Swiss cheese.  Bake at 350 for 40 minutes or until top golden brown.


Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment